Sunday, June 5, 2011

La Vida Peruana

I have been in Peru for 5 days now. I am starting to get used to their lifestyle. It is very different from the states; Peruvians have a very laid back attitude, if you set a time, they may or may not be their when you said. I am learning that even though our Bible studies say we start at 6, we don't really get started till around 6:45, and even after people still show up. Peruvians are also very late night people. Our day doesn't really get started until about 10-10:30 in the morning, but we might be out with a group until 11:30-12:00 at night.

I am finding that the people here are very surprised when I tell them I am from America. Every person I have met here is surprised when I tell them I am American. Apparently I look very European; I don't really understand it, but that's ok :) I've also never had anyone associate my name with the "Chelsea" soccer team in London. But that is how people here have told me they will remember my name.

We have had 2 English classes so far. Tuesdays, Thursdays, & Sundays we have a Bible study. Paco (the missionary we are working under) has a passage that we read and then we discuss different English words in them that may be unfamiliar. We also discuss cultural differences. Thursday night we read Matthew 22:1-14 and discussed what weddings in Peru and in America look like. It was very interesting to see some of the similarities, but also some of the differences in how weddings are performed in these two countries. Saturdays we have "class," but it's more of a hang out time. A time for us to just be in fellowship with these people and a chance for them to practice their English.

Peru is a very receptive, very open country. When we talk about God and look at the spiritual aspect of scripture they want to know more; they are hungry to hear God's word. But I can also see Satan working in them as well. We are trying to befriend the people that come to our classes in hopes that we can share the gospel with them. Please pray for the people of Peru; and for the people in our English Fellowship classes. Today is a very big day for Peruvians; they are having presidential elections, and the people we have been working with tell us that Peruvians have to choose between the lesser of two evils with their candidates. They are all very worried about the direction the country will take after this election. We keep reminding them that God is in control; no matter who takes office, God is ultimately in control!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are fulfilling the calling perfectly. Keep giving them the hope and encouragement they desire. Your smile will brighten their day as well. By the way, I love those hours... I would so be on time for class. lol. I thought of you today...Mike and I went to Peggy's after church. God Bless you and keep you safe. Brandee

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to read that you arrived safely and are having a great time. It sounds like you are learning as much from them as they are from you. Stay safe and have a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete