Friday, June 10, 2011

Idioms

I am really enjoying working with the English Fellowship team here. This is a kind of ministry I feel comfortable with :) We hold Bible study classes to read the word and discuss English phrases and words that they do not understand. But also, we are mainly forming relationships with the people of Lima. Most of them are believers, but some are not. I am excited to see where God leads us this summer together! He is so good.

Yesterday our Bible study was on Luke 15, the Prodigal Son. It was so interesting to hear what they had to think about that passage. And what they had to think about our God. I thought to myself last night that even though we grew up in two totally different cultures, God is the same. He is the same God all over the world! It just hit me how amazing He truly is. How I was raised and where I grew up is so different than the people of Peru, but yet, we serve the same exact God. He amazes me constantly! I am quickly falling in love with this country. They are so genuine and so open to hear from God. They pride themselves on how they treat "gringos" :)

Another thing I am really enjoying is helping teach them English and discussing with them different phrases in our language that are common to us; but sound strange to an English language learner. In my ESL classes I took this year they really emphasized not speaking in idioms. Something that is common to us is hard for an English learner to understand. For example: "tongue tied" as an English speaker I know what that means and how to use it in context. One of our students used that last night and it confused the entire rest of the class. But I do have one funny story to share :) Now, you all know I love to laugh and this story makes my heart smile! One of the guys came up to me and had a few phrases he didnt understand and we discussed them. The last phrase he asked me made me laugh so hard :) He understood after I explained it why I was laughing. The phrase he didn't understand the meaning of was "I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!" When he asked me about that phrase I almost fell over laughing. It was just so funny to hear. I really have enjoyed partnering with my teammates and the missionaries here in Lima.

Tonight a couple of the girls are coming over and teaching Amie and I how to make Aji De Gaillina. I am so excited for that! We are starting to build relationships with people here and are wanting to hang out with them other than just at Bible study. I am looking for God to do great things this summer; in us and through us. Thank you for your prayers! I covet them while I am here in Lima. In our Bible study last night I ran across this verse, and I wanted to share it:


"If we die with him, we will also live with him. If we endure hardship, we will reign with him. If we deny him, he will deny us. If we are unfaithful, he remains faithful, for he cannot deny who he is."
2 Timothy 2:11-13


I am so comforted in knowing that even when I fail, God is still faithful! That was such an eye opener to so many of our students last night. God is so great in giving me this opportunity this summer!

1 comment:

  1. Okay - the cowbell quote is just too funny! I had to share your story with Calise -- we both laughed hysterically. I am enjoying reading your posts -- and it's truly beautiful the way God is working through you.

    ReplyDelete