Thursday, June 2, 2011

Goodbye USA

After 18 hours of travel, I made it to Lima!! I am writing this from my room in Lima, Peru :) Isn't God so great! Caleb picked me up at 6 a.m. and we headed to Houston. Surprisingly, we didn't hit much traffic. Since we were so early, we just sat in the lobby and hung out before I had to leave. It was hard saying goodbye, but it's only 60 days, and I'm so excited to be used by God! My first flight (Houston to Miami) wasn't bad. I had only slept about 4 hours the night before, so I fell asleep before the safety instructions were given. Then in Miami I had a 3 hour layover, so I took my time and walked around.

The flight from Miami to Lima was delayed about an hour because of an insane amount of stand-by passengers. So we took off about an hour later than we had originally planned. The flight from Miami to Lima was a little rough. There was so much turbulance on the flight. I fly 2-3 times a year and I've never been sick on a plane before. But for the first time tonight, I was nauseaus on a plane. I thought at one point I was going to need the barf bag, ha! I just kept praying the whole flight that God would calm my nerves. I sat next to a guy from the Mormon church on the flight to Lima; he was starting his 2 year mission. It got me thinking how we were both going to Peru to tell the people about our God (although, two very different viewpoints!). Then I got to thinking, there are several different people on this plane going to do the same thing. Peru is a hot spot for missions right now. I'm so very excited to be here!

At the airport in Lima the line to get through immigration looked like it would take forever. But I got through without any hitch. I also got through the "baggage check" line without having to have my bags checked. That's now twice I've gone through that line and got the green light, yeah! When I finally made it through customs there were SO many people waiting to pick people up, I had a moment of panic. But once again, I just prayed that God would calm my nerves. I found my roommates without a problem.

I am now sitting in my bed for the next 2 months, in my room, in Lima! I can't believe this is actually happening. God planted a dream and answered a prayer of mine. I will never understand why He loves me so much, and why He continues to bless me. We are staying at a house in Miraflores for the next 2 months. I am living and teaching English with 2 other people. After 18 hours, I can finally say I'm here!

I cannot wait to be used this summer. Buenos noches!

2 comments:

  1. We are glad you have made it their without any major problems and you arrived safely! We will be praying for you..enjoy your summer it will be one you never forget :)
    Jacob and Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be Careful and Enjoy everyday! I'm so glad you made it there without problems. Can't wait to hear how it goes and remember God is with you every step of the way...AND you are a WONDERFUL teacher! Keep us posted!!! Brandee

    ReplyDelete